What Are the Most Popular Types of Furniture Styles?
The most popular types of furniture styles are traditional, modern, contemporary, transitional, and mid-century modern furniture. Each style has a unique ambiance that it can bring into your home. From simple to more sophisticated furniture styles, the one you choose reflects your personality.
Furniture is a significant part of your home or commercial property. It determines the ambiance of your space, so you must make sure to use the right design.
In this post, we’ll discuss different popular furniture styles.
Read on for deep insights into these styles and determine which works best for you.
Traditional furniture style
Inspired by historical and classical furniture designs, the traditional furniture style is one of the most popular you'll come across. Its furnishings are often revivals of the 19th century neo-classic, 18th century English, British Colonial, and French style. These furniture styles became prominent centuries ago and have remained so to present day.
The Traditional furniture style features furnishings such as tapered legs, straight lines, and tons of beautiful ornamentation. It possesses traits of the Chippendale, Queen Anne, and Sheraton furniture styles. The traditional furniture style gives you a classic decor with European flair emphasizing simplicity and elegance.
Its design is characterized by deep colors and wood tones with furnishings that give a classic feeling of a space that is always trendy. Traditional furniture combines small and large furnishings and warm colors such as brown, cream, gray, and gold. There are florals, stripes, and plaids that add texture and interest.
Features of the traditional furniture style
- Forms: wing and Queen Anne backs, curved lines, classic silhouettes, claw, and bun feet.
- Colors: espresso, rich shades of brown, merlot, deep wood finishes, cherry, black, and white.
- Materials: Noble materials such as velvet, leather, and silk. Upholstery comes in rich and solid colors.
- Fabrics: The traditional style can come with more affordable fabrics like linen, chenille, or cotton. Commonly used patterns are foliar, floral, or damasks.
- Accents: This style features decorative details such as paneling, moldings, intricate embellishments, and throw pillows.
Modern furniture style
Characterized by clean and crisp lines, modern furniture style gives a sense of simplicity and class. It often features cold materials, a simple design, and a neutral color palette. The modern style is more recent and developed without adhering to a specific period.
This style became popular in the 1900s during the modernist movement. It blurs the lines between artistic and functional and combines elements from different traditional furniture styles. Modern furniture style features a monochromatic color palette.
The furniture used is often simple and sleek, with basic forms and clean lines. You'll find that simple tables made of metal or wood with a touch of glass are prominent in modern styles. This furniture style started in the 20th century and has become one of the most used options.
Features of the modern furniture style
- Forms: crisp lines, geometric shapes, and clean silhouettes
- Colors: gray, black, and white palette, neutral colors, and glossy finishes.
- Materials: vinyl, leather, wood, metal, plastic, steel, and glass. You'll also find natural wood with a wood grain pattern.
- Fabrics: leather, microfiber, PU, vinyl, and faux leather.
- Accents: few ornamental details.
Contemporary furniture style
Like the modern furniture style, contemporary furniture design is recent and developed based on present times.
Characterized by curved lines and smooth shapes, the contemporary furniture style is fluid, clutter-free, modern, sophisticated, and sleek. You’ll find solid colors, sleek lines, and several materials like metal and glass.
Contemporary furniture design is airy and light. It works best in big open spaces. This furniture style will make even the smallest rooms look bigger thanks to light colors.
It gives you an airy feel with neutral colors covering a large portion of the space. Small details like flowers, pillows, lighting, and art add color to the space. Lighting is a prominent element of contemporary style.
You'll find many lights, including natural and artificial ones like lamps and lighting fixtures. They make the space look more elegant and sophisticated.
Features of the contemporary furniture style
- Forms: geometric shapes, simple silhouettes, crisp or curved lines.
- Colors: neutral colors such as white, black, gray, chrome, silver, glossy finishes.
- Materials: steel, metal, wood, glass, and plastic.
- Fabrics: leather, PU, vinyl, microfiber, and suede.
- Accents: a few ornamental elements.
Transitional furniture style
The transitional furniture style combines traditional and modern design. This style includes contemporary design elements that keep evolving, meaning that the transitional style is also ever-evolving. The combination of traditional and modern furniture decor offers endless possibilities.
It allows interior designers to mix and match decor pieces and produce a cohesive design. The transitional decor style became popular in the 1950s thanks to its dynamic nature. It is the perfect decor for people who want a home that exudes luxury and comfort.
Transitional homes of the 20th century borrow from traditional and modern designs to give you a home that focuses on elegance and class. It features modern materials with noble furnishings made of materials such as glass and steel.
Features of the transitional furniture style
- Forms: classic or modern silhouettes, straight or curved lines.
- Colors: mix of wood and glossy finishes. Various colors can be used.
- Fabrics: warm and welcoming upholsteries such as leather, velvet, linen, and chenille.
- Accents: includes throw pillows and intricate decorative elements.
Mid-century modern furniture style
The mid-century modern interior decor features the best furniture pieces in modern design. This style evolved during the 20th century in response to a post-World War II environment, and the development happened between 1933 and 1965.
At that time, architects and designers were fascinated by the mass production and technology invented in the early 20th century. So, they developed new ideas to marry these inventions with more futuristic designs. Teak is often used in mid-century modern furniture for its color and durability.
Oak and rosewood are also common in mid-century modern furniture styles.
Features of the mid-century modern furniture style
- Forms: sophisticated lines, minimalist silhouettes, handmade and painted elements.
- Colors: oak, natural wood finishes, pine, maple, brown, and walnut.
- Materials: wood can come with natural wood grain patterns.
- Fabrics: upholstery comes in solid colors. Frequently used materials include chenille, cotton, and linen materials.
- Accents: simple design and a few ornamental elements.
Scandinavian furniture style
Scandinavian furniture style features different functionality with interesting lines. It reflects how simple life is in Nordic countries, including Finland, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, and Sweden. The lines have a sculptural influence, making Scandinavian furniture feel like a work of art.
Other standard features of this furniture style include natural lighting, natural elements, minimal accessories, spacious design, and functional furniture.
The Scandinavian design focuses on craftsmanship, simplicity, and longevity. It emerged in the early 20th century but only became popular in the 1950s.
Features of the Scandinavian furniture style
- Forms: natural elements, simple silhouette, and sophisticated lines with a sculptural influence.
- Colors: all-white color palettes. Pops of color, if applicable, come from the use of art, a single piece of furniture, or natural fiber throws or furs.
- Materials: natural elements like form-pressed wood, enameled aluminum, leather, bright plastics, steel, and wide plank flooring.
- Fabrics: textiles are often from cotton, flax, nettle, wool, and hemp.
- Accents: minimal ornamental details.
Furniture is not only about wealth and luxury. It also represents your personality. Each furniture style exudes a unique character, and your choice will depend on how you want your space to look and feel.
The most popular furniture styles are traditional, modern, contemporary, transitional, and mid-century modern furniture styles. These styles can create different characters, so you must choose the one that exudes the right ambiance for your space.
Viesso partners with a collection of reputable brands to offer high-quality, sustainable, and affordable furniture. You’ll find just what you need to give your space that desired look and feel. Choose the best solution for modern home decor!Shop Viesso now!